Running a dance studio looks easy from the outside. At least, that’s how it should look if you’re doing it right. So when you first opened your studio, you might have had visions of effortlessly breezing through your day — but the reality is a little different. Running a dance studio is a lot harder than it looks, and requires a lot of skills that have nothing to do with dance. So the odds are pretty good that you’re wasting a lot of time on tasks you loathe.
That’s not why you started a business, and The Studio Director doesn’t think you should have to spend your day doing things you hate. Our dance studio management software helps running your dance studio become (almost) as effortless as you make it look. Stop wasting time and start enjoying the business you’ve worked so hard to build!
The Unexpected Realities of Running a Dance Studio
Dancing is probably the least significant skill necessary to run a dance studio. Sure, your reputation as a skilled dancer and incredible teacher can draw in new students. But ultimately, your business will rise or fall based on your skill at running a business.
That’s daunting enough. Even more daunting is how much is actually involved in successfully running a business. There’s almost no school or experience that could prepare you for all the skills you’ll need:
- You have to be a master of finances: diligently saving, intelligently spending, investing where necessary, and always keeping an eye on your taxes.
- You’ll need to be an excellent salesperson, encouraging students to sign up even when you’re anxious about the future of your studio.
- You’ll need to be organized enough to run an entire army. That means tracking and planning for enrollment, ensuring bills are timely paid, and of course, always being available to your students.
- You’ll have to be endlessly patient.
- You must be an expert manager: recruiting, training, hiring, and when necessary, firing, an expert team.
- You’ll need to be able to survive on little sleep, and probably very little food, too.
- You’ll have to manage your inventory.
- You’ll need to remain involved in your community to recruit new students and give back.
- You’ll have to be invested in local politics and the role they play in your business, including mundane issues such as zoning, taxes, new developments, and seemingly endless new regulations.
Simply put, it’s more than any one person can do. That’s where your staff and contractors can fill the gap.
Time is Money; Money is Time
Here’s the thing about staff and contractors: they might save you time, but they cost you money. The result is that many studio owners try to do as much of it themselves as they can. When you try to wear so many hats, mistakes are inevitable. Even if you’re able to somehow pull off perfection, you’ve got another problem: though you might not be paying others for their time, you’re still losing money.
Your time is the most valuable asset you have. Consider how much you charge per hour of teaching time. Every hour you spend on an administrative task is time taken away from that. That can add up to a pretty significant loss. Once you spend your time, you can’t get it back. Worse still, the time you spend on administrative tasks that you hate can drain your mind and body, sapping your motivation and making it difficult to focus on growing your business. You might even find that for every hour you spend on administrative tasks, you actually lose more like two hours.
Procrastination and Stress: Hidden Time Wasters
Think you’re managing everything okay? Think you’d rather spend your time losing your mind than spend another cent on lawyers, teachers, accountants, and other experts?
Consider this: late at night, do you have trouble sleeping? Is motivation hard to come by? Are you chronically exhausted? More to the point: is there a task you are putting off right now, even as you read about managing your time?
If you’re like most studio owners, the answer is a resounding yes. Life as an owner is simply overwhelming, and that exhaustion and endless work can take an emotional toll. The emotional toll makes life more difficult, and costs you even more time—in the form of procrastination, slow work, oversleeping, and lost time with your family. If you tally it all up, and count the time you spend avoiding tasks, odds are good you’re wasting hundreds of dollars each month.
Don’t You Deserve to Enjoy Your Business?
When you’re trapped in a cycle of misery, it’s hard to see your way out. That’s the nature of the cycle, and it’s the very thing that leaves many owners feeling trapped. It feels like there’s no other way to run a studio, like you just have to keep treading water, endlessly hoping that help will one day arrive.
Help has arrived. Dance studio management software is more than just another business tool. It gives you back your life, allowing you to focus on teaching and growing your business. You don’t have to toil away, drowning in busywork. Free your time, your mind, and your life.
You built your business for a reason. We’re betting it wasn’t to be a slave to administrative tasks. So it’s time to reclaim the business you once loved and enjoy your life again.
How Dance Studio Management Software Saves You Time
Dance studio management software isn’t a miracle or a quick fix. It’s a way to slowly dig your way out of the administrative nightmare so many owners face. So what can the Studio Director offer you? We’re part business manager, part sales director, and the perfectionist organizer you need, but can’t afford. Our offerings include:
- Effortless class enrollment management.
- Clear and personalized progress reports and report cards.
- Inventory management that ensures you spend neither too much nor too little.
- Payment and financial tools that help you understand the big picture.
- Clear reports that make managing your business feel, well, manageable.
And more! We train you to use our software, so you can hit the ground running from day one. It doesn’t have to be this hard. Let us show you a path away from the chaos.